Wow, so I have been swamped at work and outside, so much so that when I began typing this I thought it was March. I have been increasing my pursuit of a new job and landed a few phone interviews and some in-person time these past weeks. Scheduled for round 2 on a great position, so waiting on that. Also busy at work preparing for a Quarterly Technical Review presentation at work, which went well this past week. Finally, going to be getting two new dog friends this weekend to take care of until May. Glad I am now finding the time to come back to the site. Talking about the site…
For anyone who has visited previously, you will notice a drastic design change. I was never totally pleased with the previous look as it was too busy for my enjoyment. This new theme is visually appealing (thanks to some great CC0 images from unsplash.com) and it’s simple format works better for me. Still some kinks to work out, but overall much happier. The old site left me writing “blog posts,” but I never felt too connected to them. I am hoping this more free flowing style allows better expression of my content.
So without further ado here are some of my favorite items from last week.
- That Time We Bought A Homestead OH YEAH!!!! I realize this was more than a week ago, but I had to include this! Their FIRE plan is finally coming into full fruition and I couldn’t be more excited. Congratulations! The power of FIRE!!!
And on that same note…
- We’re Airstreamers, but don’t call us trailer trash! Again, a little late for this week, but I love this success stories! I can envision both of these options for my family and in 5 or 6 years it might be a REALITY! Congratulations for showing the world the power of FIRE!!!
Okay how about one more.
- FIRE Milestone – Final Day: Blasting Into Retirement I can’t believe how many people are retiring early! It’s great! Read some of his posts since this one to get the common wind-down period once you quit work for good.
- On Monday I received a $5 Amazon gift card from Navient for completing a survey regarding student loans. After years of handling my loans and taking my interest payments, I guess that was the LEAST they could do. Thanks guys!
- Yesterday was fantastic in the sense that it confirmed my desire for FIRE. Slept in a little, made some fresh coffee and took advantage of the warm(er) weather to walk to the library. Found a cozy chair and read a short story until I went home and made lunch. EVERYDAY could be like that! Yes, please! 🙂
- Bloomberg published this cute little graphic, The Best – and Worst – States to Avoid Income Taxes. Don’t forget that Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, and Wyoming have no state income tax. Pennsylvania was the most interesting to me.
- An interesting interactive on life expectancy by the New York Times, Where the Poor Live Longer: How Your Area Compares. The poor in NYC are expected to live a few years more than the average poor person in the US. Now to figure out how spread that increase.
- And finally, I think Jon Stewart is having the ultimate retirement on his little farm sanctuary in NJ. Showing his pig friend some love in this video on his Facebook page, Afternoon Belly Rubs!!!